CHECK THE HEALTH OF YOUR BABY
From 24 weeks
No preparation necessary
TAKE HOME PACKAGE
Ultrasound report, gender determination if requested, 2 2d glossy photograph printouts, 2 digital pictures and 1 video clip sent to you via sms or email
We kindly ask that all bookings and payments are to be done online through the BOOK NOW button above.
Don’t hesitate to email email@example.com if you have questions prior to making your booking online.
* Surcharge of €50 for twins
ULTRASOUND BABY SCAN VIDEO
Deborah explains the Fetal Well Being Pregnancy Scan
More information about the Well-being Pregnancy Scan:
The well-being scan is offered for a number of reasons. It determines the lie or presentation of the baby (breech, transverse or cephalic), it provides us with information about the placenta location and appearance, it establishes an estimated fetal weight, it examines the umbilical cord Doppler flow to determine whether the placenta is functioning as it should, it calculates the amniotic fluid volume around the baby and it allows for the sonographer to check the standard fetal measurements. Time is also taken to make sure that the baby is swallowing, breathing and moving normally.
The purpose of this scan is:
- To determine the presentation/lie of the baby
- To locate the position of the placenta
- To measure the amniotic fluid index
- To assess the fetus’ growth by measuring the head, abdomen and femur bone.
- To establish a current estimated fetal weight
- To identify and measure fetal heart rate
- Check the Doppler flow in the umbilical cord to check placental function (umbilical artery Doppler)
- To determine the gender of the fetus if requested
- This scan does not replace your 20 week Detailed Anomaly Scan
- It cannot exclude all chromosomal or anatomical abnormalities, however, if an issue is detected, we will let you know and refer you to a fetal medicine specialist. Visualisation of all structures can be tricky due to fetal lie and gestation, but we will do our best to image what we can.
- It cannot determine the length of the baby as the baby is usually rolled up into a tight little bundle.
- Cannot determine the proper function of the organs in the baby.
What to expect from a Fetal Well-being Pregnancy Scan
The sonographer will put some ultrasound gel on your abdomen and move a scan transducer over your skin. The image will come up on a big screen television in front of you so that you can see all the structures that are being examined. The presentation of the baby and location of the placenta are established. Standard measurements are taken of the baby’s body parts. This includes measurements of the head, abdomen and femur bone in the leg. The main organs are examined. The baby’s weight is then estimated. The fetal breathing and movements will also be monitored throughout the duration of the scan. The amniotic fluid volume, placenta location and umbilical artery resistance index is assessed. The sex of the baby can also be determined at this stage so feel free to ask the sonographer to disclose this information if you want to find out!